Monday, April 4, 2011

You Don't 'Get Old', It's Called Being Boring

This weekend in Minnesota was gorgeous, weather in the 50s with sunshine and the trails were filled with bikers, runners, people walking their dogs, and those roller blading. Saturday and Sunday I joined the masses, taking my dog Chanel on a 3.5 mile walk both days. The warm weather isn't something we take for granted in Minnesota. As soon as the weather lightens up the patios are filled during lunch and Happy Hour, people begin sporting Spring clothes at temperatures the rest of the United States would still be in winter jackets.

On Sunday after taking the dog for our walk, I spread out on my bed feeling like an old lady when I saw Matt Wertz tweet about the Varsity Theatre (in Dinkytown) and how tickets were still available. I panicked, how did I not know he was going to be here? More importantly, who could I find to go with me at such late notice? I sent my thoughts out to Twitter and waited for someone, ANYONE, to say they'd love to come with me. All of my friends encouraged me to go, though none were in the area to come with me. In fact, Matt himself tweeted at me that he thought I should come. It was cute to say the least. Tickets were $15 and the doors opened in less than fifteen minutes. Still lounging in my yoga pants and t-shirt I had a decision to make: Do I stay home and be old and lame or do I go to the concert by myself?

That moment it crossed my mind, we don't get old and want to stay home and do the more practical things, we get boring, comfortable, and lazy. I'm 26 years old, when do I stop being spontaneous and start clipping coupons on weekends considering it to be an activity? I decided not this time, not this weekend. I can get old and boring another year, I'm not getting old without a fight. I'll go to concerts on a whim by myself, try new restaurants, do things that scare me, whatever it takes to stay young at heart. Every day could be our last. How awful would it be if I missed out on a great concert by one of my favorite artists because I put it off? No one ever looks back and regrets the fun things they did, they regret the things they wanted to do but were too scared or lazy to do. So at least once a week when all I want to do is lay in bed and watch tv I will instead do something new. Awhile ago I wrote a post on inexpensive things to do in the Cities, I'll be slowly marking things off my list as the year goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment