Monday, April 4, 2011

Matt Wertz: With You, Last Night

As you probably already read, I decided to live a little last night and attend the Matt Wertz concert on a whim. So here's a little bit about my love affair with Matt Wertz's music AND the set list from last night (well minus one song that I didn't write down.)

Five years ago at the University of St. Thomas during my senior year I first discovered Matt Wertz. He was playing at the school for free (well, student activity fees paid for it) and my roommate at the time asked if I wanted to attend. I knew none of his music but tagged along on their date anyways. The music was wonderful, and in the middle of his performance Matt took a moment to ask fans to listen to a charity he supported and wanted to talk about. The charity, the Mocha Club asks people to donate increments of $7, $14, and $21. The idea behind the club is that for the price of two cups of Joe, you could help someone in a less fortunate situation. $7 provides seven individuals in Africa clean water for a year. $7 can save one person from Malaria or even sustain one person living with AIDS for a year. Seven bucks, two trips to Starbucks or Caribou or wherever else you frequent for a cup of coffee. Matt was so moved by the charitable organization that he was giving away cds or shirts for signing up for a monthly contribution as well as using his shows to spread knowledge about the club. A ten minute chat with the audience before playing music again. I joined the club and still think it's a great thing.

Five years later I still love his music, his songs are some of my favorites. They range from the most soothing out there to the type that are fun to play while in the car with the windows down and music up. All but two of my favorite songs were played last night. So if you're looking for some really fun music to download make sure to hit up Matt Wertz but also grab 'With You, Tonight' and 'Capitol City'. You'll get it once you download it.

Last Night's Music:



Don't Come Easy
Carolina
Counting to 100
Feels So Right
Running Back to You
Easier Tonight
5:19
I Will Not Take My Love Away
Red Meets Blue
Heartbreaker
Marianne
Someone like You
Nobody's You
The Way I Feel
Everything's Right
Sweetness in Starlight (w/Ben Rector)
Everything Will Be Alright (w/Ben Rector)
For The First Time (w/Ben Rector)
Free Fallin' (w/Ben Rector)


*If you are interested in the Mocha Club they are extending their reach from providing clean drinking water in Africa to a new program called 'Women at Risk' aimed at helping women who were forced into prostitution gain life skills so they can leave that lifestyle if they choose to. The website for the Mocha Club is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment