Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Food Revolution: Great Harvest Taste Test

As I tweeted yesterday, I went after work to the Linden Hills Great Harvest location. The place is only a few blocks where I get my hair cut at Salon Rox. The best part about this is that I can go from work in Edina to Great Harvest, leave Great Harvest and go to Trader Joe's before taking Excelsior back to my apartment. It's a long, round about way to go home, but I found a way to make it convenient for me.
Back to the bread. Everyone I talked to yesterday has had Great Harvest bread, but usually years and years ago. My coworker and I discussed all the bad things out there for you and when I told her what my friend Sarah (from Chicks Who Give a Puck) told me about breads that last over ten days we both knew we would have to adapt and incorporate fresh made bread to our lifestyle.

So back to the actual bread. When you walk into the store there are samples of the bread to try out by the cashier. I had perused the aisles, kind of figured out what I wanted when the owner of the store took the time to answer all my questions, including pointing out customer favorites, how to store the bread, why not to refrigerate the bread, etc. Then he asked if I wanted to try one of the samples. Of course I did! I asked for a small piece as I was still full from lunch, to my surprise he gave me a slab of bread that was literally an inch thick. If that's small I don't even want to know what normal sized is!

The bread I sampled was the bread I ended up buying, Great Harvest's top selling bread - the Honey Wheat. Delicious and nutritious, with no preservatives, oils, dyes, or ingredients you can't pronounce. While the bread is significantly more expensive than what you'd find at the grocery store the owner gave me a great tip.
*Once you buy the bread put half in the freezer. The bread you leave out on the countertop will last from seven to ten days. Once you remove the other bread from the freezer, it will last seven to ten days. The bread thaws out in three to four hours.*

No comments:

Post a Comment