Monday, April 25, 2011

My Food Revolution: Change My Own Mind

Recently I was reminded how touchy of a subject one's diet is. The sole purpose and intent of "My Food Revolution" is to talk about my experiences, document my journey, and invite those who know more than I do to share their recipes, tips, and advice with me. I've learned so much on the beginning of my journey and I know it's only the start.

Part of the reason I find the Food Revolution so appealing is that it seems like common sense, same with most of the books and documentaries I am watching. I sit down and think about it, it all just makes sense. Now as many of you have told me, I should really seek other sources and find out more information. True. There are usually three sides to every story. Side A, Side B and the Truth. Most of us will hear A's story or believe B's side, thus giving us our perception of truth. This isn't the truth, but what we operate and believe to be true based on the facts provided to us.

Right now my perception of food is this: Fast Food and unhealthy food was delicious, cheap, fast, but I always noticed how my clothes fit, how my body felt, and what my skin did. I knew it wasn't the best thing for me. Even when I ate my regular meals if I avoided fast food I always lost a few pounds. I didn't need a diet or book or documentary to tell me that fast food was adding pounds I didn't want and contributed to me feeling lethargic. I avoided eating fast food while working out for that very reason.

What I didn't know was the corporation side of food, the way the government and food industry were in bed with each other. I didn't know the particulars and I didn't know why my dog's food was better than my food. The documentary cleared a lot of things up for me, including how meat is made, why the number of contamination outbreaks are so high when they happen, and more. Because once you understand the process, the contamination part is understood quite easily.

I guess what I am trying to say is this: Before I learned what I learned I ate the same things that most of you are eating. And while I am glad I found out because it's my body and I like to make choices based on what I've learned, I will never judge YOU for doing what you want. One month ago I couldn't have been told differently and would eat what I wanted when I wanted. But if you ever decide you want to learn more, I'm right here and willing to share what I've gathered thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment