Friday, April 15, 2011

My Food Revolution

There's the difference between knowing and doing; knowing what is best for ourselves and actually doing what is the best for our health, financial security, happiness. I've known for a long time that fast food is bad, that processed foods aren't the healthiest, and that there are some scary things going on with the FDA. I've known and never fully committed to changing my lifestyle until now; I can't wait any longer to take my own health into my hands.

I am the average American woman. I'm around a size eight (which is horrifying to admit on the web but also necessary for accountability) - I've never participated in any fad diets, and just recently as my metabolism has slowed down due to hitting the big 26 last year I have finally started to somewhat track my calories.I'm not the girl who obsesses over size, health has always been more important to me. I ate what I wanted, refused to feel guilty, and tried to balance in fruits and veggies when possible. I fit in clothing sold in department stores, can run a mile without a problem and can probably train for a 5k in a month or less. I am hardly what I would think of as at risk for health. However, the growing epidemic of obesity combined with the fact that I have no family history at all has forced me to take pro-active measures to my own health. As an adoptee without any knowledge of cancer and heart disease history I need to make sure what I am doing is beneficial even if there is a history. I need to take care of me.

So what sparked this change, this drastic new view on food and lifestyle? It wasn't an overnight awakening but rather a gradual understanding and awareness of what we are truly doing to ourselves and our health. It started with the documentary 'America the Beautiful', I watched this documentary with my sister and brother in law over Christmas vacation in 2009. I was stunned by the revelations, even had a post drafted but left it un-posted. Then there was an author (who for the life of me I cannot remember his name) on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart talking about his new book (which had a big carrot on it.) He was there to discuss food and health. He made a statement that until healthcare cannot be denied to anyone the health industry won't care about our health and the McDonald's and Burger Kings of the world won't be held accountable for pumping us full of sodium, processed food, saturated fat, etc. It was a surprising statement to say the least but I never sought out the book. I was still unmotivated.

Enter Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution campaign and show on ABC. Food Revolution is partnered with the American Heart Association and Ryan Seacrest productions. Funny mix? Not really as the AHA needs an ambassador to reach out to the masses and connect with them to help their see the light. And Seacrest? Well for this show to help more people it needs to reach the masses. If he can make the Kardashians worth watching he can make something intelligent and necessary worth watching. I watched the first episode last night on my iPad after eating fast food. I've never felt so disgusting before. While I could tell you everything you need to know about the show it would be far better if you watched it. You can head over to abc.com and watch the episode on demand. You'll never look at a hamburger the same way again. But maybe that's not the worst thing in the world.

My decision to change my eating habits will be gradual, much like my understanding of why the natural foods movement is the right choice. I'll be documenting my choices and sharing any tips I find along my journey. And if you have any reading material or thoughts about the natural food movement please share, I'm more than happy to read anything on both sides of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment