Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Lost Art of Mail

It's been awhile since I've received an electronic e-greeting and other than my new Canadian friend and fellow Chick Sarah, it's been awhile since I've received a piece of mail. It started a few years back, when Facebook wasn't open to the general public and Twitter was just startng up. It is a slow change in the lack real connections to that of the digital world. Instead of sending a card people started sending e-cards. Then those died out as Facebook fanatics started posted well wishes on the wall, first fighting for the first 'Happy Birthday' to missing the birthday by a day and sending a belated post to finally not acknowledging that person's birthday at all.

Technology was created to make our lives more simple, to allow for instant contact with friends and family in different places. In my personal experience there are now individuals who cannot function without technology in their everyday livelihood including their jobs. There are companies that rely so heavily on technology that a snowstorm or power outage leaves the entire workforce isolated and unable to complete anything. People rarely call anymore; voicemails are considered a grave offense and most households couldn't find their book of stamps if it were a life or death situation.

I'm not against technology by any means, I love new tech trends and all the wonderful new toys they bring. I am, however, making a real effort to inject human interaction back into my relationships that technology has stolen from me.

Two years ago I was in my own situation. It was most certainly not life or death, but it felt like hell at the time it was happening. So many things going on in my life that I had absolutely no control over. Family stuff reaching a boiling point after going through four years of hurt and suffering and work stuff not happening the way I had hoped. I remember feeling utterly defeated, run down and just plain sad. I had bailed on my friends Katy and Brittany to get together because I was just too exhausted to go out. In fact, I was downright negative and stubborn when they wanted to get together. I felt awful about it afterwards, knowing they had only wanted to take my mind off of things and help. I went to work the following day and in my boss' mailbox were two envelopes addressed to me. I opened the envelopes to find hand written cards inside. Brittany and Katy each sent me a card telling me everything would work out. They were there for me and if I ever needed to go out for a drink, to vent, or just watch Friends in my pjs with a friend, they were there. I started crying at work. I tucked their cards into my gold wallet clutch and they remain there still today. Whenever I have a bad day or feel like luck is not on my side I open my wallet and read their kind words. I'll never forget how much I needed that pick me up that defeated day or what it meant to me then and what it still means to me now.

So the next time you go to send a text message or email, think about sending a hand written note instead. While I may save a kind email it usually ends up on page 59 of my inbox. Cards, on the otherhand, are placed in a special spot and revisited often.

No comments:

Post a Comment