Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Food Revolution: Trader Joe's

I had heard time and time again that Trader Joe's had all kinds of neat stuff for a good price. All of my friends talk about the "Two Buck Chuck" and everything else, but as a wine hater (except white wine sangria from Lucia's on Hennepin) I could care less.

One of my coworkers is big on food documentaries and she had bought half a cow last year for her family. I wanted to get more information from her on that, even though I have no freezer space for said cow, just to think it over. She told me that they aren't getting half a cow, they'll get a much smaller portion because Trader Joe's had pretty affordable free range, grass fed beef. Trader Joe's, maybe less than a ten minute drive from home, and on my way home from work. I was ecstatic. I hadn't had time over the weekend to check it out, so after dinner last night I headed over.

Trader Joe's is an odd set up in St. Louis Park. The parking lot is ungodly small and it's very small inside as well. I picked up my basket and headed straight for the meat section. Earlier that day I had picked up some organic fruit and veggies from Lunds (which I will continue to do until the Farmers Markets open) but saw the price of free range, grass fed ground beef and balked. $11.98 per pound of 97/3 ground beef? No. Freaking. Way. I wanted to eat healthy but that was ridiculous, I mean I have to be able to do other things too, right? Well I passed on the beef earlier but standing at Trader Joe's I came across the ground beef and found 96/4 for $4.98 per pound. That's less than half of what Lunds was charging. Now I know Lunds is expensive, it's an upscale grocery store but the difference was still shocking.

The chicken was sitting right next to the beef. For free range, grass fed chicken the cost was slightly higher. However, after watching Food Inc. I don't believe I will be able to eat Tyson Chicken ever again. Whether we're talking the horrifying treatment of the chicken or the chemicals they use to grow a chicken in 48 days instead of 72 it disgusts me. Let's just say nature shows us chickens are not meant to grow that quickly because the chicken can barely take a few steps before falling over due to the unproportional amount of weight to leg strength ratio. Almost $9 for chicken? Well it's the price you have to pay

I have a few recipes I'm looking forward to trying out these upcoming weeks. I'll be sure to let you know how they turn out,and if I can tell the difference.

And for all those wondering, Target's 97/3 ground beef is also around $4.98. Their free range, grass fed beef is closer to $6 per pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment