Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lying about Virginity

This isn't what you think this is. This post is about Virgin Olive Oil. I know, right? More specifically Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Well, Olive Oil has been named the miracle oil, seen as beneficial in food, on skin, and all around amazing. I'd read the articles, heard the experts, and had generally accepted that it was as good as it seems, and for the most part it is.

I have an iPad, and one of the coolest things on the iPad is the apps. I love my entertainment apps. ABC player, Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Xfinity Television. I can watch almost everything I'd ever want to watch. And the Barnes and Noble Nook app? Another blessing. It was with said app that I discovered the truth about Olive Oil.

I purchased Teresa Guidice's ebook 'Skinny Italian' and read the entire book the evening I purchased it. Upon chapter three Guidice reveals one of the most interesting things I'd ever read about Olive Oil. While Guidice may not be an expert, her reasoning is, well, reasonable. Oilves are a fruit, squeezing olives gives you their oil. It's how we get virgin Olive Oil. Simple right? Here's where it gets tricky.

Go into your pantry and find your bottle or two of Olive Oil. Chances are you have a few bottles, I had two when I read this. The first, Carapelli and the second, Bertolli. Both in nice bottles, both more expensive than some of their counterparts. Neither one are Virgin Olive Oils, let alone Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Chances are, the one you have in your cabinet isn't either. So all those benefits of Olive Oil you've been promised? Well you're not intaking Virgin Olive Oil and may be missing out on them.

I did a little field research of my own, the next time I was at a Super Target. While it's nothing official it was certainly eye opening. I stood in the Olive Oil aisle and looked at all of the bottles. Virgin Olive Oil means that the olives were cold pressed the day they were picked. The best kind of Olive Oil is picked from one region and cold pressed the same day only going through the press once.

When I look for Olive Oil now, I only get 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil with olives only from Italy. Surprisingly, Target has a great Olive Oil that fits those requirements, in their own brand. And just in case you were wondering, those Olive Oil cooking sprays probably aren't that great for you either. Better idea? Do what my parents did and head to Bed Bath and Beyond and pick up a sprayer in the Kitchen section. It's a little silver canister that you put in what you want and then pump it before spraying. They put in pure Olive Oil. Then you get all the benefits of Olive Oil for cooking or baking with the ease and control of one of the spray canisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment