Thursday, April 14, 2011

Word to the Wise: Don't Major in Psychology

I was in seventh grade when I decided I wanted to be a Psychologist. I loved how they helped people and I wanted to have a purpose in life, to help others. I organized my high school schedule to take AP classes that would help me credit wise to become a Psychologist. I knew what I was meant to do, I had known forever.

Fast forward to my Senior year in college and I just knew I didn't want to be a Psychologist. It was too late to change my major, too late to change my life path. I was stuck in a major I had no desire to use. When I had initially decided to major in Psychology I was told of how the possibilities were endless. The training and education I received in this major would open doors for me that others wouldn't have access to. Understanding the human psyche, what motivates individuals, how to run experiments and being responsible for said experiments would make me a prized candidate in the job market. Wrong. When I applied to jobs I was told that companies wanted degrees in marketing, communications, advertising, business, accounting. Psychology? Why the heck did you major in Psychology if you weren't going to go to Grad school?

These days companies and corporations focus too much on the label. College grad, business degree, internship, etc. While all are wonderful, the rigidity prevents people from changing their mind. Heaven forbid the decisions you made at 18, or in my case 13, not be conducive to the life you want to lead now at 23 or even worse, at 26. While standard training and experience in the field are valuable there are other qualities that seem to go by unnoticed. Whatever happened to determination, drive, creativity, self-starter? How is discovering your passion or joy after the age of 18 a tragedy? Should we punish those who were not fortunate enough to know what they wanted at age 13 and to still be as dedicated to that same passion at age 23, 26 or even 45?

It seems as though society insists on rigidity and strict guidelines for the job market. Finding the best person on paper instead of the best person. So here's my tip for those of you about to enter college: Whatever you do, double major what you love with something business oriented. It sounds like punishment, torture even. However, providing yourself an intelligent back up plan is the best piece of advice no one ever gave me. It's easier to double major while in college than to go back afterwards. Do as many internships as possible, the more the better. You'll be stuck working for the industry for free at one point in time, might as well do it while your bills are (hopefully) lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment