Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Top 27 Songs - Part Two

Sometimes picking a song is so easy - you know where you were when you heard it for the first time or when it finally clicked. Or maybe it's a lyric or a sentiment you share, something that connects you to the song. But other songs, they're more difficult. Yes you like the lyric, but why does it speak to you? Maybe the song just makes you happy no matter what is going on with your life and you turn to it whenever you're down but you never realized it before. The associations we have with music are strong and complex, and the reason behind picking a song isn't as straightforward as I once thought. So here's the second part of my top 27 songs, tomorrow will round it out.

Augustana - Boston
I remember when I first heard this song, and when I had to give up free concert tickets to their show to cover a shift for a coworker. I absolutely love Augustana, their music is light, sweet and fun. This song is the song that introduced most people to their music, their breakthrough hit. I love the piano arrangement and my favorite part of this song comes at 1:54 in the song. It's for anyone who has ever wanted a do over, though most of us are too scared to ever follow through. When I finally saw Augustana play live it was at the Basilica Block Party - we got caught in the downpour and I was sick for weeks afterwards, but it was so worth it. The picture to the right was pre-rainstorm.

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Michael Jackson may have been crazy or misunderstood or sad or genius depending on who you ask. But whatever your personal opinion of him might have been there's no denying his musical talent. This album is filled with amazing songs yet Billie Jean is the one that I love the most. Thriller, while great, gives me slight anxiety at not being able to dance the dance and thus often do not participate on the dance floor when it comes on. Billie Jean, on the other hand, is perfect for rocking out on the dance floor with your friends. Growing up my Dad lived in Merville, IN and during his summers home from the College of St. Thomas he worked in the steel mills. He actually worked with Joe Jackson and when Joe was bragging about his kids all of Joe's friends used to tell him that his kids weren't talented and would be going nowhere.


Tim McGraw - Where the Green Grass Grows
I have such a love for this song and out of all the country songs I have this is the one that makes me smile no matter what. Back in high school I discovered country music my Senior year. It was actually Tim McGraw's song 'Something Like That' that I used to make fun of (until I heard the actual song and not just a clip that is) and his other song 'I Like It, I Love It' that had me wandering down the country path. And while I can think of plenty of other country songs that hold so many memories for me this is the only one that I sing along to without even thinking, push replay and think of first. Considering Tim McGraw was so integral in my discovering country music it just seemed odd not to have him on here. Go ahead, listen to this entire song and try not to smile, I dare you.


Queen - Somebody to Love
My favorite part of this song is the end, not that the song is over but the chanting 'Find me somebody to love' - it's a fun song that always has me singing. I know I listened to Queen growing up, my Dad was on a mission when I was younger to get the Billboard Top 10 hits for every year from the late 50s to the mid 80s. I remember searching for the years, the look on my Dad's face when he found it and how embarrassed I was when he shouted joyfully in a Blockbuster that he had 25 years of Rock and Roll Top Tens. But I loved those cds, and I would play them in our five disc cd changer on shuffle, trying to see if I knew the year the music was from. So when Anne Hathaway and Jesse McCartney redid it for Ella Enchanted I went to my iTunes and listened to the original. And when Glee did it last year I listened to all three versions. I love this song, and while I really do like the remakes, the original is just classic.

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
I love Simon and Garfunkel, they were always part of my childhood as my parents both loved them. As I went through my Pop phase I didn't listen to them as much; once I turned 21 and was in the bars my love for them was rekindled. I remember hearing Cecilia at Bootleggers one night. I knew it was the from the second the song started and once I got home I had to play all of their music. Like any artist there are songs you like but skip, songs you just skip and songs you need to listen to more than once. Bridge Over Trouble Water is so soothing it was always my favorite of all their music.

Don McLean - American Pie
I listened to this song all the time as a kid, my Dad used to tell me what the lyrics meant and how they referenced history and other songs. It's that song that is always kind of in the back of your head, you know you love it but its length can sometimes cause you to leave it off of your playlists. When I originally created this playlist I didn't instantly think of it but upon glancing at the music I had on my iPhone I added it immediately. I don't think there are lyrics that are better written, more meaningful, or as intricate as these.

The Beatles - Hey Jude
Why this song over other songs? How many other songs can have the first three minutes be about going for it in a relationship and then at the 3:00 mark use only the words 'better, hey, Jude, na, yeah' and still keep you listening the rest of the remaining 4:02 of the song? None. The Beatles are unparalleled in their music, period. Quite simply put, I love this song because The Beatles CAN do what they want and it's still amazing. They've proven they can have a song that's 2:05 and be perfectly succinct in Yesterday and then they can have a song that's 7:02 and have more than half of the song without real lyrics, yet few people press skip after the first three minutes.

Don Henley - The Heart of the Matter
I always knew this song, but never really paid attention. Then Sex and the City the movie came out and India Arie redid it, it was interesting but it sent me digging into my iTunes library looking for the original. Later I would lose a few relationships and there was a lyric in this song that always stuck with me. Something that reminded me to remember the good times with a smile as well as to be thankful the relationship ended because it obviously wasn't good for either party involved. That lyric? 'There are people in your life who've come and gone. They've let you down, you know they hurt your pride. You better put it all behind you babe, because life goes on. You keep carrying that anger, it will eat you up inside.'

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
There are so many fun memories associated with this song for me, whether it's the first time I heard it or the Mountain Dew commercial that emulated it this song is iconic. The reason it's on here is because of Shout House and a former friend. We were at Shout House for our roommate's birthday and the two were feuding (who knows why) we were standing with two guy friends when this song came on. My two guy friends and I started singing, she stood there quiet. We all looked at her incredulously, she had never heard the song before. I gave her such grief for it and even worse when she told people I was making fun of her for not knowing the song 'Bombs Over Baghdad'. Yep, that's what she called this song, and hearing it today just brings fresh that memory of fun times Senior year of college with friends, and how much fun you can have with your friends with a drink in your hand and some classic rock blaring.

1 comment:

  1. Some great tunes on this list so far, I'm enjoying reading this...and how have you come this far in life without knowing the Thriller dance???? Haha

    ReplyDelete