Thursday, March 5, 2009

Money Isn't Everything

I am bad at money. I will not try and deny this simple fact. There are areas of my life which I believe I excel in, shopping is one of them. Managing my money? Not so much.

My father can and often will attest to this fact, I struggle with money management. I have a hard time living within my means, and he has bailed me out in the past, more times than I like to admit or he likes to give.

I am learning my lesson about spending wisely, saving more, and most importantly budgeting. And while I agree that knowing how to manage your money and save are important factors in life, I have found that money isn't everything.

Sure, money makes everything easier. Not worrying about the mortgage or the bills would be nice. And being able to escape reality with vacations is another plus. But to the dismay of my father I have spent my life learning about what money can't buy and what unfortunately does not get me paid in the end.

What I have learned in my 20+ years is that all the money in the world can't buy you loyalty or friendship. That money makes life easier, and without it life would be very different. However, the government provides assistance for people who have the misfortune of having no money, no skills, etc. There is no agency in the world that can provide you friendship and loyalty if you don't acquire the skills to attain those assets.

Last night my friend of 5 years, my first college friend to be exact, had a family emergency. She was experiencing something I have never had to deal with, and that most of us will never have to deal with. And while money will make that family breathe a little easier in terms of bills and mortgages and education and retirement; what she needed most was a friend. She needed someone to drive her to the hospital, to listen to her concerns, to tell her everything would be all right, and to hold her hand when it seemed it wasn't getting better. Money, would make her problems easier, but it wouldn't make her feel better. Only friendship could do that.

And so I know my father wishes I was better with my money, but I hope he can be proud of the fact that I've acquired skills to be a better person, better friend, better daughter, and one day a better wife.

So I'm sorry Dad, but I'd rather be a better friend than great with finances. And while I know one does not need to exclude the other, I'm glad I took the time to learn how to be a friend first. I have the rest of my life to learn about money.

No comments:

Post a Comment