Sunday, March 1, 2009

Always Contradicting

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's "Do as I say, not as I do." My mother was the first one to tell me that contradictory phrase, and I was always questioning her about it. She finally told me that I had to listen to her and do what was best for me, even if she didn't do what was best for her. It didn't make sense to me back then, and it still doesn't make sense to me now.

The older I've gotten the more I find that being direct and saying what you mean and meaning what you say are almost obsolete. I find this is that much more true in the world of dating, love and sex. I cannot tell you how many times I hear women say they want a nice guy and then settle for the jerk. How we, as women, will tell any one of our girlfriends not to tolerate xyz and then let it happen to ourselves. How guys tell girls they hate drama, want a girl who understands them and then go for a girl who is the most dramatic, clingy, needy being, and then complain about her.


So why is it that we are always contradicting ourselves? Is it because emotion overrules the thought process? Or is it because deep down we're too ashamed to admit what we really want? I'm not saying all girls want to date a jerk or all guys want to date a needy girlfriend, however, I think that if these people really respected themselves they would do what they know is best. I think that the fear of being alone is so crippling that people will put up with so much to avoid that feeling.

In reality I know that deep down we all know what we want, what we deserve, and what we settle for.

No comments:

Post a Comment