Monday, March 16, 2009

Irish Asian

When I was little and didn't understand race, ethnicity, etc. I told everyone I knew I was Irish. My mother and father are Irish, and they would tell us when we were celebrating St. Patrick's Day or explaining about the many Claddagh rings around our house that WE were Irish.

My understanding of the English language at 5 is obviously much different than it is now as 20+. So I went around telling everyone I was Irish. I was raised Irish, I followed the Irish (Notre Dame) and I loved Corned Beef and Cabbage. It made no sense to me that my Asian features made it impossible for anyone to believe I was truly Irish.

Last year I lived with a girl and she yelled at me all the time. There was nothing she loved more than to make others feel bad. So when I was telling this story she thought it best to put me down and say, "You're not Irish, what are you dense?"

Now my parents already had the talk with me about being Asian, and I understand that. However, from my Race & Ethnicity class I learned that race and ethnicity are merely cultural and are not concretely defined. The definition of 'Black' varies from country to country based on shade, upbringing, etc. There is no gene that unite all Irish people, or any 'people' for that matter. To be Irish is technically a cultural upbringing and a state of mind.

So I hope tomorrow brings out the spirit of the Irish in you. But for me, I always was and forever will be Irish.

No comments:

Post a Comment