Tuesday, April 21, 2009

San Antonio Food Tour 2009

I have been neglecting my blog, my dog, my household cleaning responsibilities, my packing, etc. I come back from vacation to find that I found a way around the loophole of work blocking me from blogging at work!
So first things first, I still have yet to discuss with you the Smiley Face Killers, and plan on doing so over the weekend, it requires a lot of depth, insight, and referencing. Unfortunately I am doing projects at work, on hold on the phone, and typing all at the same time!

I decided to visit San Antonio to partake in a friend's wedding weekend. For those of you who have not visited San Antonio, TX before, I would highly recommend it. Not only was it green, gorgeous, and touristy, it also had some great places to eat at! I was in heaven with all the TexMex. Growing up in Colorado & having amazing Mexican food to grow up on made me very happy. Then I uprooted and moved to Minnesota for college. While I love it here, I have yet to find Mexican food as good as it is in Colorado.

Texas proved the closer to the border you are, the better the Mexican food (so would Minnesota have really good Canadian cuisine? And even more important, what is Mexican cuisine?!?) There were probably three meals I had that did not consist of some sort of TexMex. I tried different places and compared the salsa, guacamole, flautas, etc. For the best flautas go to Mi Tierra. Best salsa? I'd say go to Zuni's Grill. Want the tastiest guac in San Antonio? Try Bordeau's, they make it table side. It was unique, tasty, and a show in itself.

Just for good measure I've included the recipe so you can have a bit of San Antonio no matter where you are.

1 Avocado - if ripe you should be able to take the pit out with the knife.
1/4 of a Orange - squeeze in the juice
1/2 of a Lime - squeeze in the juice
1 Tablespoon of chopped red onions (orange 'juice' lessens its sourness)
1 Teaspoon Kosher Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons of stewed tomatos (theirs had been marinated a certain way)

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment