Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Great Debate

There are a great many things that I have 'great debates' about, usually with myself. Errr...yeah. But the topic of interest that I would like to discuss right now is the whole theory of this LOVE bs.

I say love bs because there seems to be so many rules for finding it, keeping it, etc. I'll start with a recent example of something that has made me think. An old friend of mine whom I do not keep in touch with other than on occasion I see his facebook status update. A few weeks ago he posted "Men give love for sex and women give sex for love." This very thought made me think, using his logic sex is a bargaining chip. Wondering about this very thought I 'tweeted' "Men give love for sex and women give sex for love so if you give the sex before the love will you ever get it?" A friend replied back that they believed that you can have sex with someone before being in love and still end up in love. I feel like this is a valid thought, but ultimately just made me wonder about love and sex in general.

There are people out there having one night stands knowing sex is the only thing going to happen, no emotion, no feelings, they both know it. Then there are people who are in complicated situations not knowing if it will ever turn into more, sex or love. It seems there are a lot of people who are in love and not having sex and even more people who are having sex without being in love. My question is this, are sex and love completely separate entities?

We used to believe you couldn't have one without the other, that one makes the other better, etc. But it is possible to love someone and not have sex with them, and it is possible for sex to occur with no inkling of love anywhere. I highly doubt those going around having promiscuous sex would say that it's any less amazing than those who are in love. And I am sure there are people who are in love and wouldn't say their sex life is any more amazing than when they were single and screwing around.

And for all of you who are having sex, regardless of whether you've been married 10 years or are just having a one night hook up, make sure to get tested. HIV cases are higher in Minnesota than most places right now. No reason to get an STD. Be safe, or as my friend puts it, "Don't be silly wrap your willy" - Brittany E.

No comments:

Post a Comment