Monday, May 11, 2009

Sara Bareilles


Saturday night I met up with Lindsay & Caleb & we decided to attend UST's free Spring Jam concert. The artist? Sara Bareilles - I had the pleasure of experiencing her open for Maroon 5 as well as The Hives (who were awful by the way - the lead singer shouted the entire time & swung his microphone until it broke) and after she performed she met with fans. Well I was with Jon and I dragged him up tot he beer line and to meet Sara. We took a picture with her and she was super nice. I told her how much I disliked the other band and wished that she had more time to perform more songs because she was amazing live. She laughed it off, I mean, I was insulting her tourmates. And we were pretty stoked.

Fast forward a few months and Love Song is HUGE. A few more months and Bottle It Up was just as big of a hit. I was pretty stoked we got to meet her - but I didn't know when we'd be able to see her again. Ryan told us of the free concert that happened to be outdoors, so we went. There were maybe 100-200 kids there and I am almost sure I was the oldest 20 something there (there was a set of parents which was odd but whatever) and I definitely felt it.

Oh to be at UST again where the guys are d-bags and under 6'0" and the girls wear so much make up it's caked on and orange. Not to mention the curls that are hairsprayed so not a chance of a a strand moving lest a tornado show up.
Well Sara came on and she was hilarious, charismatic and amazing live. She sounded a billion times better than on her album - she had soul & she made each song her own. I have a huge amount of respect for her, especially after the incident. She bounced back really well, but you could tell from her reaction she was a genuine person and would never say anything to offend anyone.

About thirty minutes after the cocnert - Caleb, Lindsay & I waited to meet her. And low and behold she turned up and signed autographes and took pictures. We talked about me meeting her before and she was super cool about it. She even remembered (as I'm sure ti's not easy to forget the person who slanders your tourmates.) We left pretty giddy. Caleb even got his iPhone cover signed by her.


And so I'm encouraging you to go out and buy her album - my three favorites are Vegas, One Sweet Love & Many The Miles. Though it was pretty cool to have us sing the chorus of Love Song. And even cooler to sing the chorus to Rihanna's Umbrella & U2's Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. By the way, I knew I was old when in the middle of the song a kid behind me said, "Is this sung by U2?!?!?" After she dedicated the song to Bono and told a story about U2. Idiots. Then again, I was the only person in the crowd around me at the Excel who recognized In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins & Genesis when Adam Lavine sang it. It's always nice to have a musical education - so thanks Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment