Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Top 27 Songs - Part Three

Took me a few weeks to finally finish off the list, truth be told it is a long trip down memory lane trying to figure out your favorite songs, songs you don't believe you'll ever get sick of listening to. But I put on the music and sat and thought about why they were so special to me. Part of the problem is so often I'd get distracted and just listen to the music or sing along! So here's the last nine of my list, hope you enjoy!

Earth Wind and Fire - September
Every day in September I start my morning out with this song. I go to the bathroom and turn on the faucet for the shower and play this song before jumping in. It gets me moving, makes me happy, and now reminds me of my cousin Lauren's wedding. Lauren and Ryan got married in mid-September and this song was played in the warm Colorado air while we all danced away. I love my family and any song that reminds me of a joyous occasion surrounded by my family is a good song in my book. Besides that, the song rocks, every person should have at least one Earth, Wind and Fire song in their iTunes library (though I'd argue many should have MORE than just one!)

Oasis - Wonderwall
I feel like this one is self-explanatory, well really I feel like most of the songs on here are self-explanatory. You asked for my favorite songs and it seems logical that my favorite songs would include some of the greatest songs (not all, because honestly there are too many great songs that I can't have them ALL on here.) No matter how stressed out or tired or sick or sad or angry I am, this song always soothes my nerves. I love the original, LOVE it. But I listen to Ryan Adam's version when I need something a little slower, first discovered Adams while watching the first season of 'The OC' the one which takes place over Valentine's Day where Summer and Cohen are slow dancing in his room. Either version makes me stop and listen with a smile. And after all, isn't that what music should make you do?

Billy Joel - Piano Man
I feel like I'm at the neighborhood bar whenever this songs comes up, well a hybrid of the bars I went to when I was in college. A mixture of Plum's (neighborhood dive bar) and Shout House (dueling piano bar which plays 80's music.) Both hold fond memories for me, and this song was played at both places. Any time I hear this song come on I start to sing along, such great lyrics, such a great melody, you feel as if you've been to that bar, that you know Billy Joel. That's powerful. Every person I know likes this song, I'm always surprised when they don't, I always ask if they drink or not, because this is a classic bar song and most people are reminded of some of the best nights at the bar.

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
Great song, great lyrics, great story behind the entire album. Love the creative energy Fleetwood Mac used to channel all of the negativity surrounding the group before the break up into some of the best songs they've ever done. I have two versions of this song, the remix version Stevie Nicks has on her own album (which is semi-techno but super awesome) and the original. I play different versions depending on my mood. If I need something more relaxing I reach for the original. If I'm peppy and want a little faster beat I listen to the remix. Both versions are awesome, and my favorite line in this song is: 'Thunder only happens when it's raining. Players only love you when they're playing.'

Coldplay - Sparks
I love Coldplay, but I didn't always love them. When I first heard 'Yellow' I knew it was a good song, but MTV's TRL played it a thousand times and the music video kind of ruined the song for me. I wasn't able to listen to how great of a song it was while my attention was on the music video, which I thought was awful. As time went by and they kept coming out with songs I grew to love them. They're one of those bands where you either LOVE them or you like a lot of their songs without even realizing you do. That's the group I fell into until I lived with one of my roommates who loved them. Her love for them, playing them constantly slowly turned my liking of their music to loving their music. This particular song could lull me into a peaceful state regardless of what happened in the world. And now that I live in an apartment where the upstairs neighbors sound like they're practicing to join WWE, music that does that is something I can't live without.

The Beatles - Let It Be

What can I say? I love The Beatles and the greatest bands produce the greatest music. I often talk about how songs make me feel peaceful and why I'm drawn to them. Yes, there is a need for songs that pump you up, that get your heart racing, heck I have a list of music that's perfect for the treadmill and have the songs placed in order as to make sure I can run the entire time. However, for every day aspects of life being happy, feeling an inner peace, those are things that draw me to music. Great lyrics, great message, something I can relate to. To me this song is about taking a step back, asking for help, knowing there is something greater than myself who has a plan. I never got into church, I never felt that connection with God there but music? Music reminds me that there is a force bigger than me and nature confirms my belief in that force.



Fleetwood Mac - Landslide
I feel like every person over the age of 21 can relate to this song at some point in their life. When we were younger we were fearless, swiftly going from one adventure to another, never giving a thought about the ties that bind. For me, I've grown more cautious as I get older. I'm not just talking about thinking twice before partaking in risky adventures but even small ones. Is this worth the risk? I think there's a breaking point for everyone who has ever been hurt when they stop 'surviving' life and start to live life. As I get older I'm learning to take smarter, calculated risks and not getting stuck where I once was. It may not be the meaning of the song, but it's what it means to me. And isn't that what counts? 'Well I've been 'fraid of changing cause I built my life around you. But time makes you bolder, even children get older. And I'm getting older too.'


Journey - Faithfully
Is there really any explanation needed for this song? I love Journey and wake up to this song daily. I love the arrangement on this song, I love the lyrics, I love the overall flow. Did I mention I love this song? It seems all of my favorite Journey songs have a kick-butt, high-note ending that make the songs very hard for other artists to cover. It's why I love the songs so much, you rarely hear covers of them, and when they are done they're usually done by the most talented artists. You won't find singers who use the help of auto-tune *ahem* Katy Perry, Britney Spears *ahem* and it makes it that much more special.

Now that I've done my favorite all-time 27 songs, have you started your own list?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My top 27: Charlie Mitchell (Trying not to Repeat Bands)

    1. November Rain - Guns n Roses
    2. Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day
    3. Master of Puppets - Metallica
    4. Hotel Yorba - The White Stripes
    5. Now We Are Free - Lisa Gerrard
    6. The Cave - Mumford & Sons
    7. The Arcade Fire - Wake up
    8. Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9. Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
    10. Music of the Night - Andrew Lloyd Weber
    11. Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
    12. Death & All of his Friends - Coldplay
    13. Don't Follow - Alice in Chains
    14. All Your Loving - The Beatles
    15. What I'm Looking For - Brandon Benson
    16. If you Only Knew - Shinedown
    17. The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson
    18. Defying Gravity - Wicked
    19. Concerning Hobbits - Howard Shore
    20. Ecstasy of Gold - Ennio Morricone
    21.Classical Gas - Mason Williams
    22. Don't Stop Believing - Journey
    23. Black Betty - Ram Jam
    24. Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
    25. Rise Above This - Seether
    26. The General - Dispatch
    27. Angel - Aerosmith

    ReplyDelete