Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bad Hair Decade

No, I'm not talking about this year, although a few of my friends would disagree. My hair and I have been in an on-going battle ever since I can remember (and apparently from some of the pictures my mom has, since before I can remember!) Some days I win, usually I lose. I will never be one of those people who has perfect hair every day. I don't have the time or the patience for it. And while my hair may not be perfect, I take solace knowing that I am not alone.

Saturday night, three friends had dinner and discussed the worst hairstyles of their lives. While these three friends had only been alive for less than 75 years total, there was more than enough bad hair moments to last thousands of years. My worst hairstyle (other than every other day I wake up) was probably when I was in elementary school. My Asian, stick straight hair, doesn't hold a curl unless forced, became as big as a beach ball. Two yearbook pictures in a row, I look like I was electrocuted. The source? My mother. She put sponge rollers in the night before while my hair was wet. While this should work wonders, she mistakeningly decided to brush it. Now, you think she would have learned her lesson and done things differently the next year? Oh no. By that time she forgot and by the time she remembered, I was already looking fried.

Now, I'm not sure which was worst, C or J's bad hair memories. C-fabulous wanted a bowl cut in elementary school. Begged his mother for a bowl cut (which by the way, almost every single Asian male in the 70's and 80's had one) and she refused, instead she gave him a flat top. You know, the really bad, really short almost army inspired hair cut. If I remember correctly, every single bully had that haircut....

J-money's hair was probably the worst. He wanted a mullet. His uncles had mullets, and he wanted one so badly. His mother let him have a mullet, but more of a party all over, with curly, frizzy hair, that was side-parted. He was the French poodle version of Celine Dion's child Rene Charles. And if you have ever seen Rene Charles, he is the creepiest kid in Hollywood. What is with these little boys with hair that's longer than most little girls? Suri has a cute bob, and Rene has long flowing Fabio hair. Something is wrong....

As for you, what was your worst hair moment? And when did it happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment