Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's The Weather, Stupid!

Those who live in Colorado love to talk about the weather. We've had days when it was a blizzard and then 10:00 am hits and the sun comes out and the snow is completely melted. Some of the wildest, most unpredictable weather is in Colorado they say. And I'd agree. Colorado-ans love to talk about the weather, how it's crazy, how it's too warm, too cold, perfect for outdoor activity, etc. But let me tell you, it was not until I moved to Minnesota that I learned how to hold a lengthy conversation completely about the weather.

When I started working my first job, I always found it difficult to find a subject that was an easy conversation starter that would engage a person for a short period of time. I finally started discussing the weather. While people in Colorado talked about the weather because it was something to talk about, Minnesotans LOVE to talk about the weather, comment on how cold it is, complain about how awful it is to drive in, and yet they never move. I mean, in Colorado, the snow will most likely melt before the next day. The rare occasion that we get 6 weeks of blizzard like conditions, we look back and gloat that we could survive and drive in that.

Things are different in Minnesota. Because the weather gets so poor so often, and because there isn't extreme sunshine the next day, to gloat about how well you braved the past storm just isn't fun. However, commenting every day on what the weather is like, how it's going to be next week and so forth is absolutely entertaining. I've never seen a group of individuals more excited talking about weather than Minnesotans, or weather (wo)men. ....

And now that I've written an entire blog about people talking about the weather, I've become one of those Minnesotans who can do nothing more than talk about the weather. Dang it!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment