Friday, January 13, 2012

Why RICE when you can RICE + do Pilates?

I hate getting into a workout routine and all of a sudden an injury occurs or an old injury is re-aggravated. Heck, even the weather changing can cause my bum left knee to start hurting; but does that mean a little cold weather should sideline my workout schedule? In most cases, it should and it would; I'd rest, ice, compress and elevate. But this time I tried doing an at home Pilates routine instead of running (left knee and right ankle were hurting) or yoga (standing poses really hurt my injuries.) While neither injury is yoga related, my left knee I hyper extended playing indoor soccer extremely hungover and my right ankle from running outside on a sloped sidewalk, it simply hurt too much to even do yoga. What's a girl to do? Use the bike or focus on upper body workouts? Well if you've ever taken a Pilates class you know that there is another option.

Pilates works the core, using your body weight as resistance training and kicking your butt along the way. The best part? For those of us with lower body injuries, most of the level one moves are done while seated or laying down. No pressure or pain on my injured body parts and I can feel the workout on my body. Today I woke up and my core was sore, my back was sore and my legs were sore. I still got a workout in, without further injuring myself or hitting up a gym. Can't complain about that!

What I use to do an at home Pilates workout is my Manduka Black Mat Pro with my eQua towel (to prevent slipping or sweating on my mat) and my iPhone. The app Studio Darien is a great app for those who have been to a Pilates class before. Giving you the entire workout in 22 minutes, granted Darien powers through the moves and I'm not as advanced as she is OR giving you a breakdown of each set. Video for every  move and if you're fast enough you can do it with Darien at lightning fast speed. Or if you're feeling like you have some cash to burn, you can take virtual classes with Darien on her website. It's what I'll be doing tonight when I get home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment