Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dime a Dozen

I was on Pinterest, as usual, when I found this pin where someone mentioned they wanted this top from Lululemon and they were going to use their $1 reward jar towards it. I don't know how their jar works, but it got me thinking.

What if I could curb my 'outlandish spending habits' as my mother says with my love of using a 'reward system' to help keep me on track for working out? Kill three birds with one stone? Why the hell not? So I decided I'd go to the bank and take $20 in dimes out. Crazy, I know. Next I found a container that will work as my collection bin for workouts received. And finally I found something I've been drooling over as my motivation.

Lululemon's Studio Pant II* No Liner has been on my radar for what seems like an eternity. I love these, they're soft, they're comfortable, they're cute. I just can't justify spending $100 on a pair of yoga pants. Well, I could if I worked out for them. And at $0.10 earned for every ten minutes working out I don't feel bad. I will have to pour a lot of sweat, blood and tears into my workouts to earn those pants, but they're worth it.

I'm sure you're thinking, this is a dumb idea. $0.10 for every ten minutes is ridiculous and how can that even motivate anyone? There's two reasons really. The first is that a 20 minute workout isn't worth $1 to me. I should get rewarded for my workouts based on my time. Every workout is different and the reward should be as well. If I were to give myself $1 per workout I'd only ever workout for 20 minutes a day. By making it by the time I spend I'm holding myself more accountable, I'm making myself *want* to run for that extra ten minutes, that extra mile, take that class that's a little bit longer than the normal one.

And the second reason? Well I have this thing called buyer's guilt. I'm not sure if it's even a real thing, I just know I don't have buyer's remorse. I don't ever *regret* buying what I bought, I just always get guilted by someone for buying it. I love what I buy, I wouldn't buy it if I didn't love it. But this new idea allows me to buy without guilt. How? Because I've not only saved for the item at a painstakingly slow rate, but I've also poured my energy, time, blood, sweat, tears, motivation and dedication into my reward. I truly feel like I've earned it. And to me, buying something without the guilt, well hell, that's worth it every time!

1 comment: