Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Women's Hockey - Some Cool Caps!


The other day I had my first taste of professional women's hockey. If you haven't been out you need to see a game. The pace is quick, the tickets a cheap, and the entire atmosphere is fun and friendly.

You can read more over at my website but some of my initial thoughts are listed below:
I loved hearing little girls giving play by play, telling their friends what was happening with such life in their voices. It was beyond precious.

I couldn't believe that Olympic athletes are my height, have the same purses and favorite sweats and outerwear I do. I know they're human but it was so weird to see these women who have represented their country behave so normally. Our country reveres athletes, well no, our country reveres professional male athletes with big contracts. These women aren't on a pedestal, they have regular jobs to support their families, and are active in the community. THESE are the athletes your children should have as role models.

Hearing from some of the players I found to be the favorites and about the ones I didn't get a chance to talk to my feelings on girls hockey has changed. These women who have pioneered the way for women's hockey played with the boys, it's evident in their stride, their footwork, their puck handling skills, everywhere. When Gigi Marvin or Captain Winny Brodt had the puck you could almost see someone confusing them with a male player save for the ponytail. The way they skated, the speed, everything was just much more commanding and in control. So now that there'd are morre girls hockey programs what do that mean for women's hockey and its future?

Speaking with the Whitecaps I've heard that many coaches are at wits end trying to understand how to coach girls. There a two big differences. Girls don't respond to all out yelling, they do better with explanations of why they should be playing better, discussing expectations and performance, etc. The other? Well girls need to know why they are doing exercises, not to question authority but to better understand how this relates to their game. Coach said I needed to work on quick starts, well he explained that xyz drill targets the muscles we use for quick starts, I'll do those in my extra ice time.

After seeing one game, I'm definitely excited to watch more.

No comments:

Post a Comment